What our Students Say
Women and Digital Inclusion Essential Digital Skills Training & Courses
Learn how to use the internet with Women and Digital Inclusion – We have free courses for you to learn digital skills to stay safe and connected. Feel Free to refer a friend by Using this link always.
Intro to Essential Digital Skills
Digital/Online Safety and Security
FAMILY SAFETY ONLINE - PARENTAL GUIDE FOR YOUNG ONES
A lot of parents do not know where to start to protect their children’s digital innocence and also be able to control what they watch or get access to online. This space is for parents, or responsible adults to be able to do just that.
When it comes to gaming, there are all kinds of children and for information on protecting your child in the gaming world, we recommend you visit this website which has lots of guidance and tools for parents, especially when it comes to Gaming. And this resource is all about Parental Controls
We also share some steps you can take to take back control or activate parental controls on a child’s android device.
Parental Guidance for Digital Portable Devices that Children access
If your child has access to an Android portable device, you can follow the steps below to protect their cyber experiences:
- Register a Gmail account for them with the correct age and with your email as the parent.
- Install Google Family Link on your own phone.
- Add their registered e-mail to your Google Family Link.
- Factory Reset their android device, then login to the device with their own Gmail account that is linked to your Google Family Link.
- If it is a new device, make sure it is their Gmail you use to activate the device.
- Immediately you carry out steps 4 & 5 above, your phone will get a notification to allow them to activate the device, this is the beginning of you taking control from anywhere and protecting your child’s innocence
- All adult content of any form will never load on their device — YouTube will not allow them to see adult content either.
- They cannot install anything without your approval remotely from the Family Link.
- You can lock their device from anywhere.
- You can set a start and stop time for their device usage, the phone will lock when it gets to that time even if you forget.
- There is also YouTube for Kids, aka YKids, I recommend you disconnect them from the usual YouTube and connect them to YKids.
- From your Google Family Link, you can see how long they stayed on each app or page to warn them where necessary. And you will know all the apps they download or add to the device and thus be able to delete or uninstall inappropriate apps or block the content.